Meeting Minutes – March 2012

Fremont Neighborhood Council Meeting – March 26, 2012

 Board members present:  Stephanie Pure, Elfreide Noble, Norma Jones, Dic Selin, Toby Thaler, Shawn Mulanix, Erik Pihl, Judie Clarridge, Linda Clifton

Vice President Stephanie Pure opened the meeting.  Matt Gasparich was out of town.

Minutes:  Norma identified corrections that needed to be made to the February minutes.  Motion was made and passed to approve the minutes as corrected.

Treasurer’s Report:   Shawn reported that funds have remained as they were last month:

 

PayPal                                                $    317.80                   Commitments:

BECU checking:                     $ 3,430.44                   46th St Mural Project:                1,249.00

Hazel Heights P-Patch                500.00

BECU savings:                                 5.00

BECU money market:                        25,000.00

Union Bank CD                       36,257.57

Total                                        65,010.81

Seattle Subway – Keith Kyle and Ben Schiendelman

Seattle Subway is a grassroots effort to provide subway service betweenSeattleneighborhoods.  Service to downtownSeattleis important but not everyone works downtown.  They advocate service, for example, between Ballard andWest Seattle.  Subways would run either above or below ground depending upon the location. They want the subway system to be integrated with Sound Transit rather than establishing another transit organization.  They are still working on the means of financing subway construction.  They envision that the cost would impactSeattlerather than a broader geographic area; they do not support a sales tax.

Old Business:

  • MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL AND THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM):  Norma will send mailing labels to Toby.  They may not include the names of people who have joined the FNC recently.  Toby will send out a mailing regarding membership renewal and a postcard notification of the AGM.  There were suggestions about possible guest speakers.  Stephanie will contact Jim Diers, author of Neighbor Power and former director of the Office of Neighborhoods.  We will also honor George Heideman who is retiring from serving for many years on the Board.  Board members volunteered to contact local businesses for donations of refreshments for the meeting.  Norma offered to get a cake for George.  She will also contact the Fremont Chamber of Commerce because they will want to publicize the recognition of George.

MOTION:  Dic moved that $50 be approved to cover expenses associated with the AGM.  Motion was seconded and passed.

  • TRANSFER STATION SETTLEMENT:  Toby reported that the City Council is working through the process of enacting the provisions of the settlement agreement.  One item is an ordinance that makes changes to various zoning regulations in order to accommodate the expanded transfer and recycling station.  The zoning changes are applicable to the transfer station location only.  In signing the consent agreement, the FNC agreed to support legislation that enacts the provisions of the agreement.  The FNC is legally obligated to support the legislation and needs to send a letter affirming their support to the Council.  Toby offered to draft the letter.

MOTION:  Erik moved that the FNC send a letter of support of the ordinance.  Dic seconded.  The motion passed.  [Letter was sent].

Stone34 Project – Linda Mitchell, Skanska

Linda reported on a recent Design Review Board (DRB) meeting.  There were comments from 38 attendees: 11 of which were favorable.  Many of the negative comments dealt with the height and scale of the building.   DRB members raised 3 or 4 issues, all of which will be addressed in Skanska’s response.  She will inform the FNC of the date/time of the next DRB meeting.

Toby reviewed the issues involved in this project including the Wallingford Community Council’s SEPA appeal to the Hearings Examiner that the 3400 Stone Wayproject be addressed on its own merits rather than changing the Seattle Living Building Pilot Program criteria. 


MOTION:  Erik moved that the FNC send a SEPA comment letter supportive of the project.  Dic seconded the motion.  The motion passed.  Toby abstained.

 

Note:  Jed Smithson from the Nectar Lounge was not able to attend the meeting to discuss the need for a non-profit sponsor for a new bike rack.  He will attend a later meeting.

 

Motion to adjourn was made, seconded, and passed.

 

The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting, Monday, April 23, 2012.