Deadline April 22: Catholic Housing Services is seeking an artist to create a permanent art display in our new affordable housing building being developed at 4251 Aurora Avenue North, Seattle. The new building will offer 71 studios and one-bedroom apartments to single adults and couples without children who have experienced homelessness. The building will feature community space on the ground floor including: a fitness room, computer workspace, community kitchen and gathering space. There will be a roof deck for outdoor gatherings and gardening.
The selected artist will create a mosaic/mural for the area above the computer workstations. The area is approximately 15 feet long and 5 feet tall (excluding the computer desk). The theme should involve building community. Art work should be reflective of the organization’s values:
- · Compassion – Providing care, understanding and concern for those we serve in order to honor the sacredness of each person at every stage and condition of life.
- · Diversity – Welcoming the differences of race, culture, faith, and thought with a strong commitment to naming and combating institutional racism and discrimination.
- · Excellence – Providing high quality, professionally competent services with integrity, using best practices.
- · Justice – Defending and advocating for the rights of poor and vulnerable people while working toward the common good.
- · Stewardship – Prudently developing and using the gifts and talents of employees and volunteers and the financial resources needed to live out our mission.
The selected artist will receive a $1,500 stipend to cover time and materials. Preference will be given to members of the Fremont Arts Council or artists who have ties to the Fremont community. The selected artist will work with the project team to create and install the mural in time for the anticipated building opening in September of 2013.
Please send a description of your proposed idea (limit 1 page) along with a photo sample of your work and three references to: DanW@ccsww.org or Attn: Dan Wise, Catholic Community Services, 100 23rd Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98144. Entries must be received by 5pm on Monday, April 22nd to be considered.